Scar revision with stem cells can be done on not yet completely healed wounds or for correction of existing, visually unsatisfactory scars. Depending on the type of scar, the injection of fat stem cells with or without concurrent surgical revision of the scar may be considered. Treatment is performed on an outpatient basis in local anesthesia.
At a Glance
- Treatment duration: 30 minutes to 3 hours (outpatient)
- Anesthesia: Exclusively local anesthesia (tumescent anesthesia)
- Sport: After several days at the earliest (according to the extent/type of area treated)
- Socially acceptable activities: The day after treatment at the earliest (according to the extent/type of area treated)
- Preliminary examinations: Blood test, further examinations depending on the patient’s state of health
- Compression garments: Normally not needed
- Incapacity to work: Generally no restrictions
- Check-ups: To be arranged on an individual basis
We know from experience that patients having scars find them particularly unattractive and mentally stressful. Scars form after wounds have finished healing, when deeper skin layers have been injured. Skin injuries can be caused by an accident, a skin disease or burns. So-called pregnancy “stretch marks” are also scars.
At first, scars will be red due to the large number of blood vessels. The scar tissue then gradually lightens in color, because the amount of collagenous fibers increases over time. From a medical point of view, scar tissue is an inferior kind of tissue and if put under a certain amount of pressure, so-called scar hernias can be a result thereof.
Scar Correction Using Stem Cells
The formation of scars cannot be prevented after the deeper skin layers have been injured. The chances of the scar healing without too many traces increase, if the wound is treated well during the healing process.
If your wound healing process is already completed and scar tissue has formed, further treatment depends on the cause of the injury and type of scarring. In any case, we require your autologous stem cells obtained from your body fat. It is necessary to extract a small amount of your body’s own fat in order to obtain the stem cells. In accordance with your wishes, liposuction is carried out with microcannulas or regular cannulas.
The question as to whether the scars will be treated with stem cells only or if scar tissue has to be removed depends on the scar itself:
- Acne scars can be treated with local injections of autologous stem cells.
- Treatment of scars resulting from cuts often means that the scar has to be cut out and the subsequent wound healing process is supported by stem cell application.
- For burn scars (e.g., after laser treatment), the direct injection of stem cells is normally indicated, without cuts to the skin in order to remove tissue.
Post-surgery care is minimal: Treatment is on an outpatient basis; afterwards, you are fully mobile and normally can go back to work without any restrictions. We will provide you with individual recommendations for your post-treatment care according to the extent and type of area treated and will give you support during the healing process.